Skilled Worker Visa

Office- skilled worker visa

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767


A Skilled Worker visa is available for skilled workers of all nationalities that have been offered a position from an eligible UK company who is a registered sponsor. This route can lead to settlement and applicants can be joined by dependent partners and children.

This visa can last up to 5 years before you need to apply for an extension and should be updated if you change jobs or employer. You may be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain after working in the UK for 5 years on the Skilled Worker visa.

The requirements for this visa are complex and therefore you should seek advice from an immigration specialist before you proceed with an application. Latitude Law’s specialist business lawyers can advise you of the requirements specifically relating to you and ensure that the conditions of your employment are suitable to meet the Immigration rules.

Call us today on 0300 131 6767 or complete our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you.

Call us now on 0300 131 6767 or complete our contact form and we will get back to you shortly

Illustration turquoise - arms crossed

Who is eligible for a Skilled Worker visa?

In order to apply for a Skilled Worker visa, your employer (sponsor)must have assigned you a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS). Employers can only assign a CoS if they are registered sponsor licence holders.

Be paid a yearly salary of £38,700 in most cases, yet workers may be paid less where they have other recognised attributes called ‘tradable points’ or work a job on the shortage occupation list;

The following may also be included in the ‘key requirements’ list:

  • Tuberculosis (TB) certificate - if you’re from a listed country, if required.
  • Criminal record certificate - if you’re working in certain jobs, if required.
  • Provide a valid ATAS certificate if your job involves researching a sensitive subject at PhD level or higher, if required.
Ilustration turquoise - talking

What documentation do I need to supply?

In support of a Skilled Worker visa application, you will need to provide the following documents:

  • Proof of ID, e.g., Passport.
  • A valid Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) issued by a Home Office approved sponsor. Latitude Law would also advise that documents relating to past experience/relevant education accompany an application in order to demonstrate that you are able to undertake the proposed role.
  • English test certificate or other accepted evidence showing your English language ability at minimum CEFR level B1 in all 4 components (reading, writing, speaking and listening).
  • TB test certificate for applicants from listed countries.
  • Criminal Record certificates for certain roles may be required, e.g., if working with vulnerable adults, teaching roles, etc
  • ATAS certificate - if required
  • You must show that you have personal savings of at least £1,270, which must have been held for at least 28 days before the date of your application.

However, if your sponsor is an ‘A-rated sponsor’, they can certify your maintenance up to the end of your first month of employment in the UK. If your sponsor certifies maintenance on the CoS, you will not be required to provide any evidence of your finances.

Furthermore, you will not be required to meet the maintenance requirement if you have had permission to stay in the UK for more than 12 months.

Illustration turquoise - talking

How can Latitude Law help?

The expert solicitors at Latitude Law can provide expert advice on all aspects of Skilled Worker visa applications. We can provide detailed guidance about the requirements or prepare the entire application alongside a detailed representation document explaining how the relevant rules are met. Our experts can also provide assistance in applications to switch to the Skilled Worker visa route from another category, extend your leave or apply for settlement.

Experience working with Mohammed

"Mohammed’s excellence, determination and guidance helped us at every step of our application. He is one of the most approachable solicitors we have ever come across and is equipped with brilliance in his field.”  

Client – Ms Khanwaja

Why chose Latitude Law?

Latitude Law has significant experience in preparing successful Skilled Worker visa applications.

Thanks to our extensive knowledge of immigration rules, we are able to provide pragmatic advice and meet our client’s needs. We have connections with the Home Office and other immigration authorities so we can advise you with confidence and ensure the entire immigration procedure runs smoothly and efficiently for you.

Working with a law firm can be a big decision, which is why we ensure that our clients are at the heart of everything we do. We are a highly driven team that is dedicated to providing clear and reliable immigration advice.

As a boutique law firm specialising in UK-inbound immigration, our experts understand the complexity and uncertainty that constantly shifting visa and residence policies create for skilled workers looking to work and settle in the UK. Our lawyers can provide up-to-the-minute legal advice on how any changes will impact your application.

We are pleased to be recognised as a leading law firm by the following independent bodies: The Times Best Law Firms 2024, Chambers & Partners 2024, Legal 500 2024 and Who'sWhoLegal 2024. As well as receiving these endorsements from the international legal directories, we are proud of our 5-star Google reviews from over 150 satisfied clients.

Call us today on 0300 131 6767 or fill out our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you. Let our legal experts take the strain out of your Skilled Worker application so you can start your successful immigration journey today.

Illustration laptop - white

Contact us

As the requirements for a Skilled Worker visa are complex, to ensure success, you should seek specialist advice from an immigration solicitor before you proceed with an application. Latitude Law’s specialist lawyers can advise you about your individual requirements and ensure that the conditions of your employment are compliant with the very latest immigration rules.

Get in touch with our legal team today on 0300 131 6767 or fill out our contact form and we will get straight back to you. Face your future knowing you have the dedicated support of one of our expert lawyers.

Skilled Worker visa FAQs

Can I switch into the Skilled Worker category?

You are permitted to switch into the Skilled Worker route from most longer-term immigration categories. The usual exceptions apply:

  • Visitor
  • Short-term student
  • Parent of child student
  • Seasonal worker
  • Domestic worker in a private household
  • Leave outside the Immigration Rules

Read the full guide to switching from inside the UK here.

How long is the Skilled Worker Visa valid?

If a Skilled Worker visa is approved, you will be granted entry clearance or permission to stay for a period ending 14 days after the end date of your Certificate of Sponsorship (which may be up to a maximum of 5 years after the start date of your Certificate of Sponsorship).

There is no longer as restriction to the length of stay on a Skilled Worker Visa.  

Can I extend my Skilled Worker Visa?

You can usually apply to extend a Skilled Worker visa if all the following are true:

  • You have the same job as when you were given your previous permission to enter or stay in the UK
  • Your job is in the same occupation code as when you were given your previous permission to enter or stay in the UK
  • You’re still working for the employer who gave you your current CoS

What should I do if my application is refused?

If a Skilled Worker Visa application is refused and you think the Home Office has made an error in considering the application, you can apply for administrative review.

Can the Skilled Worker Visa route lead to settlement?

Yes, the skilled worker visa can lead to settlement after 5 years in the UK as a Skilled Worker.

Can I bring family members on the Skilled Worker Visa?

Skilled Workers - except for certain healthcare workers - may be joined or accompanied by a dependent partner over the age of 18 and/or a dependent child under the age of 18.

Can I switch to another visa category?

A Skilled Worker visa permits switching to another visa category.

Our other visa services

Skilled Worker visa extension

The Skilled Worker route replaces the Tier 2 (General Route). Any existing Tier 2 (General) workers can apply for extensions, changes of employment and settlement under the Skilled Worker route, subject to meeting the relevant requirements of the immigration rules.

Partner Visa

Whether you’re looking to apply for the first time or aiming to renew your partner visa, Latitude Law is well placed to help you secure the right to live with your family member in the UK.

Sponsor Licensing

Whether you represent a business employing migrant workers, or an educational institution looking for assistance with sponsoring overseas students, the solicitors at Latitude Law will be happy to guide you through the requirements of the Points-Based System (PBS) sponsorship scheme.

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767

Our Experts

Latitude Law logo

Contact us now to arrange a FREE initial consultation with an experienced UK-inbound immigration lawyer

Call on 0300 131 6767 or complete our contact form and we will get back to you within 1 working day

Your information will be used in accordance with the privacy policy