Partner / Spouse Visa Financial Requirement

Couple Picture- partner visa

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767


You must meet a minimum income threshold to be eligible for a partner visa to join your partner in the UK. This doesn’t have to be met through employment income alone; it can be met through non-employment income such as property rental, dividends, and academic maintenance grants. It can also be met through savings, investments, pension income, and in exceptional circumstances, prospective earnings, guarantees of financial support, and other reliable sources of income.

There are special rules for people employed in small or family businesses – Latitude’s lawyers have extensive experience with such cases and can provide detailed advice on how your application changes and the documents which must be provided.

Call us today on 0300 131 6767 or complete our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you.

Turquoise illustration - couple sitting

What is the minimum income requirement?

If you first applied as a partner before 11 April 2024 and you are extending your visa with the same partner, the financial requirement you must meet is £18,600 gross per annum. This threshold will increase if you have any children who also need to be sponsored, initially by £3,800 for the first child and then £2,400 thereafter, up to a maximum of £29,000. British and settled children do not need to be sponsored, and do not increase the threshold.

Those applying for the first time after 11 April 2024 must meet the minimum income threshold of £29,000. This threshold does not increase if you have any children who need to be sponsored.

Relying on savings or other capital requires a savings amount of £62,500 (pre-11 April 2024) or £88,500 (post-11 April 2024) to have been personally held for at least 6 months preceding the date of your application (unless you are relying on money from the sale of a house). Savings can be combined with some other income if needed; this involves a complicated financial calculation and expert legal advice should be sought.

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767

Turquoise illustrion - couple with balloons

Who must meet the minimum income requirement?

Everyone must meet the minimum income threshold other than:

1.     Applicants who have been granted permission to remain in the UK on an exceptional basis, usually because they have a British or settled child in the UK, or there are other insurmountable obstacles in the couple continuing their family life outside of the UK.

2.     Applicants who receive certain disability or carer’s benefits, such as DLA or PIP. Note, this does not include Universal Credit.

The above applicants must meet a more relaxed financial requirement. Please get in touch with one of Latitude’s solicitors to discuss the requirements in more detail.

Illustration turquoise - man thinking

What documentation is needed for the partner visas?

The partner visa is one which requires mandatory specified documents as evidence; this is where a lot of applicants make mistakes and why their applications are refused. The immigration solicitors at Latitude Law can ensure this does not happen.

Illustration turquoise - woman and phone

How we can help

Approval for a family visa can be a difficult process, which is why it is recommended to enlist the help of a legal expert. From preparing the application and compiling the correct documentation to challenging refusals through judicial and administrative review and the appeals system, we will give you the best possible chance of securing a UK visa for you and your family. Learn more about how we can help you after you have submitted your application with our UK visa application status services. 

Experience working with Natasha

“It has been a wonderful experience to work with Natasha, she is always prompt on my queries, extremely thorough and very professional. With Natasha’s due diligence, we were able to get a quick decision.”

Client – Ms Yagnik

Why choose Latitude Law?

Working with a law firm can be a big decision, which is why we ensure that our clients are at the heart of everything we do. We are proud to serve every client with the highest standards of professionalism.

As a boutique law firm specialising in UK-inbound immigration, our experts understand the complexity and uncertainty that constantly shifting visa and residence policies create for partner visas. Our lawyers can provide up-to-the-minute legal advice on how any changes will impact your application.

We are pleased to be recognised as a leading law firm by the following independent bodies: The Times Best Law Firms 2024, Chambers & Partners 2024, Legal 500 2024 and Who'sWhoLegal 2024. These endorsements from the international legal directories demonstrate our integrity and success in dealing with difficult cases. We are also proud of our 5-star Google reviews from over 150 satisfied clients.

Call us today on 0300 131 6767 or fill out our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you. Let our legal experts take the uncertainty out of your partner visa application so you can start your successful immigration journey today.

Illustration laptop - white

Contact us

As the requirements for a partner visa are complex, to ensure success, you should seek specialist advice from an immigration solicitor before you proceed with an application. Latitude Law’s specialist lawyers can advise you about your individual requirements and ensure that the conditions of your partner are compliant with the very latest immigration rules.

Get in touch with our legal team today on 0300 131 6767 or fill out our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you. Face your future knowing you have the dedicated support of one of our expert lawyers.

Our other visa services

Child Dependant Visa UK

Navigating UK child visa requirements can be complex. Latitude's expert lawyers provide comprehensive support to ensure your application is error-free and meets all necessary criteria, helping to keep families together efficiently and effectively.

Partner Visa

Whether you’re looking to apply for the first time or aiming to renew your partner visa, Latitude Law is well placed to help you secure the right to live with your family member in the UK.

Adult Dependent Relative

The Adult Dependent Relative (ADR) visa route allows overseas adult family members such as parents, grandparents, children or siblings of a British citizen, a person with settled status, a person with limited leave under Appendix EU or a person with protection status, to settle in the UK and be cared for by their UK-based family.

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767

Meet our experts

Latitude Law logo

Contact us now to arrange a FREE initial consultation with an experienced UK-inbound immigration lawyer

Call on 0300 131 6767 or complete our contact form and we will get back to you within 1 working day

Your information will be used in accordance with the privacy policy