Secondment Worker Visa

Global Business Mobility

Architects - secondment worker

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767


The secondment worker visa enables an overseas employer to transfer an individual employee to the UK to do a specified job for a different organisation.  The overseas employer and the UK organisation must have a high-value contract, worth at least £50 million.

The secondment worker visa is not a route to settlement; applicants are only able to stay in the UK for a maximum of 5 years in any 6 year period.

To speak to one of our solicitors about making an application for a Secondment Worker visa, call us today on 0300 131 6767 or complete our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you.

Business women with papers

Who is eligible for this visa?

To be eligible for the secondment worker visa, certain requirements must be met. You must:

  • Be aged 18 or over.
  • Be an employee of an overseas organisation that has a high-value contract with the UK sponsor which has been approved by the Home Office.
  • Have worked for the overseas employer for at least 12 months outside the UK.
  • Have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from the UK organisation which details the work you will do in the UK.
  • Be doing a job which is on the list of eligible occupations.

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767

Illustration turquoise - books

What documentation do I need to supply?

The secondment worker visa application will be made online. As part of your application, certain documents must be provided. You must have:

  • A valid certificate of sponsorship from the UK organisation.
  • A valid passport, or other document which sufficiently establishes your identity and nationality.
  • Evidence that you have personal savings sufficient to support yourself in the UK.
  • A valid TB test, if applicable.

If you are applying with your partner and/or children, you will also need to provide documents to establish your relationship.

You may also need to provide evidence that you have worked for your employer outside the UK.

For any documents which are not in English or Welsh, you will need to provide certified translations.

Chambers UK 2024

"Gary is an excellent operator with an ability to convey complexity in a concise and clear manner. We always appreciate his depth of experience and ability to maintain awareness of legal and policy trends."

Chambers & Partners 2024
Illustration turquoise - meeting

How can Latitude Law help?

Our lawyers can provide detailed guidance on all aspects of the Secondment worker visa. We will prepare the entire application alongside a detailed letter of representation, setting out how the relevant rules are met.

Contact us today to arrange an initial consultation in relation to a Secondment worker visa application. Call on 0300 131 6767 or complete our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you.

Why choose Latitude Law?

Latitude Law has significant experience of preparing successful Secondment worker visa applications.

Working with a law firm can be a big decision, which is why we ensure that our clients are at the heart of everything we do. We are proud to serve every client with the highest standards of professionalism.

As a boutique law firm specialising in UK-inbound immigration, our experts understand the complexity and uncertainty that constantly shifting visa and residence policies create for Secondment Workers. Our lawyers can provide up-to-the-minute legal advice on how any changes will impact your application.

We are pleased to be recognised as a leading law firm by the following independent bodies: The Times Best Law Firms 2024, Chambers & Partners 2024, Legal 500 2024 and Who'sWhoLegal 2024. These endorsements from the international legal directories demonstrate our integrity and success in dealing with difficult cases. We are also proud of our 5-star Google reviews from over 150 satisfied clients.

Call us today on 0300 131 6767 or fill out our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you. Let our legal experts take the uncertainty out of your Secondment Worker visa application so you can start your successful immigration journey today.

Illustration laptop - white

Contact us

As the requirements for a Secondment Worker visa can be complex, to ensure success, you should seek specialist advice from an immigration solicitor before you proceed with an application. Latitude Law’s specialist lawyers can advise you about your individual requirements and ensure that the conditions of your work are compliant with the very latest immigration rules.

Get in touch with our legal team today on 0300 131 6767 or fill out our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you. Face your future knowing you have the dedicated support of one of our expert lawyers.

Secondment Worker Visa FAQs

How much does it cost to apply for a Secondment Worker visa?

The costs involved in applying for a Secondment Worker Visa include:

  • The need to prove at least £1,270 of funds to support your stay in the UK
  • An application fee of £298
  • An annual immigration health surcharge of £1035

How long does it take to process a Secondment Worker visa application?

Once an application has been submitted and the fee has been paid, a decision will usually be made within three weeks for those applying outside of the UK and around eight weeks for in-country applications.

Can my family join me in the UK while I hold a Secondment Worker visa?

A secondment worker can be joined by their spouse/partner and any dependent children under the age of 18 if they meet the relationship and financial requirements.

A spouse or partner needs to show proof of funds of £285 to be eligible for application, while dependent children under the age of 18 need £315, with any additional children needing £200 each.

Applications can be made at the same time as the primary visa holder, and visas will end on the same date as the holder of the Secondment Worker visa.

Can settlement be achieved via the Secondment Worker visa route?

The Secondment Worker visa does not provide the visa holder with a path to settlement in the UK. To obtain indefinite leave to remain, a visa holder must apply under a different immigration route, provided they are eligible to make an application.

Our other visa services

Senior or Specialist Worker Visa

The Senior or Specialist Worker visa enables businesses with linked entities overseas to transfer existing employees to the UK for a specified period of time. The employee will need to be assigned to a UK business that is linked to their employer overseas to be considered for this type of visa.

Expansion Worker visa

The Expansion Worker visa route to allows for senior or specialist employees to temporarily work in, and expand a business’s presence to the UK. A Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from a licensed sponsor is required to permit overseas workers to enter the UK as expansion workers.

Skilled Worker visa

A Skilled Worker visa is available for skilled workers of all nationalities that have been offered a position from an eligible UK company who is a registered sponsor. This route can lead to settlement and applicants can be joined by dependent partners and children.

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767

Meet our experts

Latitude Law logo

Contact us now to arrange a FREE initial consultation with an experienced UK-inbound immigration lawyer

Call on 0300 131 6767 or complete our contact form and we will get back to you within 1 working day

Your information will be used in accordance with the privacy policy