Student Visa

Campus - student visa

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767


If you are interested in studying in the UK, Latitude Law specialises in providing legal advice to migrants. Our lawyers have in-depth knowledge on all aspects of Student visas and can help you successfully apply to study in the UK.

To apply to study in the UK, you may need to apply for a Student Visa, previously known as a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa, through the government’s Points Based System.

To speak to one of our solicitors about Student Visa and how to make a successful application, call us today on 0300 131 6767 or complete our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you.

Who is eligible for the Student visa?

For students who are 16 or over, you can apply for a (General) Student Visa. To qualify, you require the following:

  • A conditional offer on a course with a licensed sponsor
  • The ability to speak, read, write and understand English up to a certain level (level B2 in the CEFR (Common European Framework for languages) for higher education) – you may be required to take a test
  • Enough money to support you and pay for your studies. The figure required for this will depend on whether you are studying inside or outside of London. If you have been in the UK for at least 12 months on the date of your application, you should automatically meet this requirement and will not need to show funds. 

If your application is successful, you’ll be eligible to arrive in the UK one month before your course commences, providing the duration is longer than 6 months.

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767

Illustration turquoise - books

What documentation do I need to supply?

 When applying for a Student visa you must provide:

  • a current passport or other valid travel documentation
  • a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from your course provider

Depending on your circumstances, you may also need to provide:

  • proof you have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course - this will vary depending on your circumstances
  • a valid ATAS certificate if your course and nationality require it
  • proof of parental or other legal guardian consent if you’re under 18
  • proof of your relationship to your parent or guardian if you’re under 18
  • your tuberculosis test results
  • written consent for your application from your financial sponsor if you’ve received sponsorship for your course fees and living costs in the last 12 months

Keelin's finger is firmly on the legislation pulse

"I had an appointment with Keelin and I have been blown away by the knowledge and efficiency experienced in that short meeting. I was all set to head down a poorly informed and expensive rabbit hole. Thankfully Keelin's finger is firmly on the legislation pulse and I have been steered firmly in the right direction. I would not hesitate to recommend Latitude Law. Thank you.”  

Client – Ms E Maguire

Illustration turquoise - woman and phone

How we can help

The expert solicitors at Latitude Law can provide expert advice on Student visa applications and options for remaining in the UK post-graduation. We can provide detailed guidance about the requirements or prepare the entire application alongside a detailed representation document explaining how the relevant rules are met. Our experts can also provide assistance in applications to switch to a Student visa from another category or apply for further leave.

Why choose Latitude Law?

Latitude Law has significant experience of preparing successful Student visa applications.

Thanks to our extensive knowledge of the Immigration Rules, we are able to provide pragmatic advice and meet our clients’ needs; we can advise you with confidence and ensure the entire immigration procedure runs smoothly and efficiently for you.

Working with a law firm can be a big decision which is why we ensure that our clients are at the heart of everything we do. We are a highly driven team that is dedicated to providing clear and reliable immigration advice. 

As a boutique law firm specialising in UK-inbound immigration, our experts understand the complexity and uncertainty that constantly shifting visa and residence policies create for Students and those looking to live and work here in the UK after graduation. Our lawyers can provide up-to-the-minute legal advice on how any changes will impact your application.

We are pleased to be recognised as a leading law firm by the following independent bodies: The Times Best Law Firms 2024, Chambers & Partners 2024, Legal 500 2024 and Who'sWhoLegal 2024. These endorsements from the international legal directories demonstrate our integrity and success in dealing with difficult cases. We are also proud of our 5-star Google reviews from over 150 satisfied clients.

Call us today on 0300 131 6767 or fill out our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you. Let our legal experts take the uncertainty out of your Student visa application so you can start your successful journey towards studying in the UK today.

Illustration laptop - white

Contact us

As there are various student routes available to study in the UK, you should seek specialist advice from an immigration solicitor before you proceed with an application. Latitude Law’s specialist lawyers can advise you about your individual requirements and ensure that your supporting documentation is compliant with the very latest immigration rules.

Get in touch with our legal team today on 0300 131 6767 or fill out our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you. Face your future knowing you have the dedicated support of one of our expert lawyers.


How long is the Student visa valid?

How long a Student visa is valid for depends on the length of your course and what study you’ve already completed in the UK.

If you’re 18 or over and your course is at degree level, you can usually stay in the UK for up to 5 years. If it’s below degree level, you can usually stay in the UK for up to 2 years.

Can I extend my Student visa?

You may be able to extend your Student visa to stay longer and continue your course or study a new course, please contact out team to discuss extending your Student visa in more detail.

What should I do if my application is refused?

The refusal of a Student visa may be challenged by way of Administrative Review, meaning that the decision is reviewed by another Home Office official. Please contact out team if you would like to discuss your Student visa refusal in more detail.

Can the Student visa route lead to settlement?

The route does not lead to settlement (although permission to remain as a Student can count towards a future 10 years long residence application).

Can I bring family members on the Student visa?

Your partner and children may be able to apply to come to the UK or stay longer in the UK as dependants on your student visa if you are 

  • a government-sponsored student starting a course that lasts longer than 6 months, or
  • a full-time student on a postgraduate level course (RQF level 7 or above) that lasts 9 months or longer.

Can I switch to another visa category?

Changes to the Immigration Rules impose restrictions on when students can switch into other routes. You may be eligible to switch to the Graduate route if you studied a UK Bachelor’s degree and your education provider (such as your university or college) has told the Home Office you’ve successfully completed your course.  For switching to the Skilled Worker route the rules require that students must have completed their course of study or have a work start date that is after the completion date of their course before they can switch to the Skilled Worker visa. Please contact out team to discuss switching to a different visa category in more detail.

Our other relevant visa services

Graduate Route

The graduate immigration route provides those who have completed their higher education course at a UK institution with the opportunity to stay and work, or look for work in the UK, immediately following graduation.

Child Student Visa

The Child Student visa is available to 4-17 year-olds who wish to study at an independent school in the UK. The intended course of study must meet various requirements, and the applicant may also need to satisfy financial provisions. Consent from the applicant’s parent or guardian will also need to be provided.

Skilled Worker visa

A Skilled Worker visa has replaced the Tier 2 (General) work visa. It is open to individuals wanting to work in the UK who have been offered an eligible job by an employer with an approved Sponsor Licence. 

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767

Meet our experts

Latitude Law logo

Contact us now to arrange a FREE initial consultation with an experienced UK-inbound immigration lawyer

Call on 0300 131 6767 or complete our contact form and we will get back to you within 1 working day

Your information will be used in accordance with the privacy policy