Temporary Worker – Creative Worker Visa (UK)

Ballet shoes - creative worker

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767


A Creative Worker visa is a temporary route that allows someone to work within the creative sector of the UK for a maximum period of 12 months, and is one of several UK visas available to temporary workers. There are many eligibility criteria you must meet and immigration rules to follow, and you will need support from a licensed sponsor in order to qualify for this visa; so, while this route has in some ways made it easier for creative professionals to work in the UK after Brexit, there are still legal concerns to be aware of.

If you need support in applying for a Creative Worker visa or you want advice on whether this route is the most suitable option for you to work in the UK, do not hesitate to get in touch with the expert team at Latitude Law. Our immigration specialists have helped many people to come to the UK via the Creative Worker route and have the knowledge and experience to give you the best chance of success with your visa application.

Call us today on 0300 131 6767 or complete our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you.

Illustration turquoise - women writing left hand

Who is eligible for a Creative Worker visa?

A Creative Worker applies to someone who can make a unique contribution to cultural life in the UK through their work in a creative industry. Creative workers include artists, dancers, musicians, entertainers or models who want to work in the UK entertainment industry.

You should normally meet the below requirements:

  • Have a job offer as a creative worker from a UK employer that has been approved by the Home Office to sponsor overseas temporary workers.
  • Be paid the minimum salary as set by Equity, PACT or BECTU (except for models, musicians or circuses)
  • Provide evidence to meet the financial requirements.
  • Provide a valid TB certificate, if from a listed country.

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767

Illustration turquoise - man thinking

What documentation do I need to supply?

You can make an application for a Creative Worker visa online. As part of the application, the applicant will need to prove their identity and provide specific additional documents.

Applicants must have:

  • A valid Certificate of Sponsorship from a UK-licensed sponsor
  • A valid passport or other document that proves their identity or nationality
  • Proof of funds
  • Proof of relationship with their spouse/partner/children, if applicable
  • A valid TB test certificate, if applicable

Eligibility for this visa is also determined by your employer’s ability to demonstrate that you will make a unique contribution to the UK’s creative industries, such that it is necessary for you to come to the UK and do the work for which you have been hired – for example, if you are internationally renowned. This can be difficult to determine, and it is often best to work with a solicitor with expertise in this field when applying for a UK Creative Worker visa. Our experts can help to ensure you meet the relevant eligibility requirements for this route, and support you in making your application to give you the best possible chance of success.

Keelin's finger is firmly on the legislation pulse

"I had an appointment with Keelin and I have been blown away by the knowledge and efficiency experienced in that short meeting. I was all set to head down a poorly informed and expensive rabbit hole. Thankfully Keelin's finger is firmly on the legislation pulse and I have been steered firmly in the right direction. I would not hesitate to recommend Latitude Law. Thank you.”  

Client – Ms E Maguire

Illustration turquoise - 2 men and ipad

How can Latitude Law help?

The expert solicitors at Latitude Law can provide expert advice on all aspects of Creative Worker visa applications. We can provide detailed guidance about the requirements or prepare the entire application alongside a detailed representation document explaining how the relevant rules are met.

Why choose Latitude Law?

Working with a law firm can be a big decision, which is why we ensure that our clients are at the heart of everything we do. We are proud to serve every client with the highest standards of professionalism.

As a boutique law firm specialising in UK-inbound immigration, our experts understand the complexity and uncertainty that constantly shifting visa and residence policies create for creative workers. Our lawyers can provide up-to-the-minute legal advice on how any changes will impact your application.

We are pleased to be recognised as a leading law firm by the following independent bodies: The Times Best Law Firms 2024, Chambers & Partners 2024, Legal 500 2024 and Who'sWhoLegal 2024. These endorsements from the international legal directories demonstrate our integrity and success in dealing with difficult cases. We are also proud of our 5-star Google reviews from over 150 satisfied clients.

Call us today on 0300 131 6767 or fill out our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you. Let our legal experts take the uncertainty out of your Creative Worker visa application so you can start your successful immigration journey today.

Illustration laptop - white

Contact us

As the requirements for a Creative Worker visa are complex, to ensure success, you should seek specialist advice from an immigration solicitor before you proceed with an application. Latitude Law’s specialist lawyers can advise you about your individual requirements and ensure that the conditions of your skilled work are compliant with the very latest immigration rules.

Get in touch with our legal team today on 0300 131 6767 or fill out our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you. Face your future knowing you have the dedicated support of one of our expert lawyers.

Creative Worker Visa FAQs

Do I need a Creative Worker visa to work in the UK?

Normally yes, but there is a concession to the Creative Worker Visa. A visa may not be required if you have a valid Creative Worker Certificate of Sponsorship and will be working for less than three months. This is provided you do not normally need a visa to enter the UK - that is, you are not a “visa national”.

What if I am coming to the UK for a shorter engagement?

You may be able to enter using the Permitted Paid Engagement Visitor visa. This allows for a visit of up to a month, provided you fulfil all necessary eligibility and suitability requirements. You should speak to a solicitor about your plans before determining whether the Creative Worker visa route or another path is the most suitable option for the type of temporary work you intend to perform while in the UK.

Can I bring my family members with me on a Creative Worker visa?

A spouse or civil partner and any children under 18 can apply to enter the UK under this visa, provided they meet the relevant requirements. This includes providing proof of your relationship and a maintenance requirement, which means that you must demonstrate that you have enough money in your personal savings to maintain your child during your trip. A dependent child over the age of 18, or a child who is not financially dependent on you, cannot apply through this route, but may be able to accompany you to the UK through a different valid visa route.

If your child turns 18 during your stay in the UK, they can apply from inside the UK to extend or switch their visa. Our experts can support you with any such visa application and advise you on the most suitable approach to meet your family's desired objectives.

Can I extend or switch my Creative Worker visa?

Provided they continue to meet eligibility requirements, Creative Worker visa holders can extend their leave to stay in the UK.

If the extension is with the same sponsor, you can do so for a total of 24 months. If you are changing sponsors, you can extend your visa up to a maximum of 12 months.

You are not able to extend your stay if you have used the Creative Worker visa concession. However, you may be able to switch to a different visa route under these circumstances. Speak to our experts to learn about the Skilled Worker visa and other alternatives to the Creative Worker route that might be applicable in your circumstances.

How much does a Creative Worker visa cost?

The application fee is £298. You will need to pay a healthcare surcharge if your visa is for more than 6 months. This is £1,035 per year of visa. There is also a maintenance requirement, which means you will need to demonstrate that you have sufficient savings to maintain yourself in the UK during your stay, unless your sponsor certifies maintenance.

Our immigration solicitors can advise you on the financial requirements that will apply in your specific case, and help to give you the best chance of success when applying to perform valid temporary work in the UK.

When should I apply for my Creative Worker visa?

You can apply for this visa up to three months before your expected start date, but it can take time to gather the evidence you will need to support your visa application. For this reason, we recommend you contact a legal expert at the earliest opportunity to discuss your options and ensure your application has the best chance for success.

How long does the application take?

The time it takes to apply for a Creative Worker visa varies according to several factors, including the country from which you are applying, which means there is no standard timeframe for the application process. For example, you will need to provide documents that prove your identity, which can often be done online. However, in some circumstances, you may be asked to bring these to an appointment at a visa application centre, which can delay the process.

Once you have made your application and submitted the necessary documents to prove your identity, you should receive a decision within three weeks if you are applying from outside the UK. If you are applying from within the UK, the decision may take up to eight weeks.

What documents do I need to provide?

There are several types of documents you may be asked to provide to support your Temporary Work - Creative Worker visa application. These will be needed to demonstrate your eligibility for the visa and prove your identity. You may be asked to submit documents online or to bring them to an appointment at a visa application centre.

The documents you will need include:

  • A passport, to show your nationality and prove your identity
  • Bank statements or other documents to show you can support yourself financially
  • A certificate of sponsorship reference number
  • A valid tuberculosis test certificate, if you are applying from a country where this is required

If family members are applying with you, you may also need to provide proof of your relationship to support the application.

The documents you will need to apply for a Creative Worker visa can differ based on a variety of factors, and it is not always clear. To give yourself the best chance of success with your application, speak to the team at Latitude Law. Our expert immigration solicitors can aid you to find the visa route that will best suit your needs, help you to navigate the application process, and give you the best chance of success in securing a UK visa.

Our other visa services

Applying to work in the UK

Are you looking to work in the UK? Getting a visa to work in the UK can be a complicated process, but our immigration lawyers are experts in processing visas across all employment categories. We can help you.

Some employment routes are governed by the Points-Based System (PBS). The rules can be complex and it is, therefore, vital that you consult a specialist immigration solicitor for legal advice and information before applying to work in the UK.

Skilled Worker visa

A Skilled Worker visa is available for skilled workers of all nationalities that have been offered a position from an eligible UK company who is a registered sponsor. This route can lead to settlement and applicants can be joined by dependent partners and children.

UK Expansion Worker Visa

The UK Expansion Worker Visa replaces the Representative of an Overseas Business route to allow senior or specialist employees to temporarily work in, and expand a business’s presence to the UK.

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767

Meet our experts

Latitude Law logo

Contact us now to arrange a FREE initial consultation with an experienced UK-inbound immigration lawyer

Call on 0300 131 6767 or complete our contact form and we will get back to you within 1 working day

Your information will be used in accordance with the privacy policy