Child Student Visa

Private School-Child Student Visa

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767


The Child Student visa is available to 4-17 year-olds who wish to study at a private independent school in the UK. The intended course of study must meet various requirements, and the applicant may also need to satisfy financial provisions. Consent from the applicant’s parent or guardian will also need to be provided

To speak to one of our solicitors about the Child Student visa and how to make a successful application. Call us today on 0300 131 6767 or complete our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you.

Who is eligible for a Child Student visa?

To apply for a Child Student visa, you must have an unconditional offer from a licensed Child Student sponsor. The sponsor must be an independent school; the course of study cannot be at a local authority-funded school or academy, or institute for further or higher education. The course cannot be a foundation course in preparation for higher education. The school must hold a valid Sponsor Licence.

The intended course of study must be taught in line with one of the following:

  • The National Curriculum
  • The Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) at level 3 or below
  • Accepted as being of equivalent academic status to (a) or (b) above by Ofsted (England), the Education and Training Inspectorate (Northern Ireland), Education Scotland (Scotland) or Estyn (Wales)
  • The independent School Education Standards

The sponsor will need to provide the applicant with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) – this is a reference number that will be needed to submit the application. Parental or legal guardian consent is also required to apply for the Child Student visa. In addition, proof of arrangements for their travel to and care arrangements in the UK will also be required.

Additionally, there is also a requirement to prove that the applicant has access to sufficient funds to cover their educational and living expenses during their stay. If an applicant is applying for permission to stay and has been in the UK with permission for 12 months or longer on the date of application, they will meet the financial requirement and do not need to show funds.

If an applicant is applying for entry clearance, or permission to stay where they have been in the UK for less than 12 months they will need to meet the financial requirement. The exact financial requirement an applicant will need to meet depends on their intended living situation in the UK.

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767

Financial requirement

If they satisfy the eligibility requirements, one parent of a Child Student aged up to 12 can apply for a Parent of a Child Student visa. If successful, the child can live with them in the UK. If an applicant intends to live with their parent in the UK, then they will be required to show:

  • They have enough money to pay for one year’s academic tuition (up to 9 months), and
  • £1,560 for up to 9 months, which covers the applicant and their parent.

If the parent is accompanying any additional Child Students to the UK, they will also need to demonstrate an additional £625 a month for each extra child.

Applicants can also live with a foster family or close relative, who must be British or settled. If this option applies, the financial requirement is as follows:

  • The applicant must show they have enough money to pay for one year’s academic tuition (up to 9 months), and
  • The foster family must have at least £570 a month, for up to 9 months.
  • Applicants aged 16 or 17 who will live independently must show that they have:
  • Enough money to pay for one year’s academic tuition (up to 9 months), and
  • Either £1,334 per month if studying in London or £1,023 per month if studying outside of London

Applicants who will board at their sponsoring school must show they have sufficient funds to pay their boarding and course fees for up to 9 months.

Unless the applicant is relying on a student loan or an award from a Government or intentional scholarship agency, the applicant or their parent must show that they have held the relevant fund for at least 28 days, with day 28 of that period falling within 31 days of the application’s submission.

There are some exceptions to meeting the various financial requirements. No financial requirement applies when:

  • The applicant is in the UK, and has held a Child Student visa for at least 12 months immediately prior to applying, or
  • If the applicant is a national of certain countries; a full list can be found here on the gov.uk webpage, or
  • If the applicant is a British National (Overseas).
Illustration turquoise - 2 men and ipad

How can Latitude Law help?

The expert solicitors at Latitude Law can provide expert advice on all aspects of Child student visa applications. If you are looking to study in the UK, we can help you to navigate this visa route, ensuring your application has the highest possible chance of being successful. We can provide detailed guidance about the requirements or prepare the entire application alongside a detailed representation document explaining how the relevant rules are met.

Mother and daughter-Child Dependant Visa

Conditions of stay

Permission will be granted for the duration of the intended course of study plus 4 months; the duration of the course will depend on the applicant’s age.

  • If the applicant is under 16, the course can last for up to 6 years
  • If they are 16 or 17, the course can last for up to 3 years

An applicant may come to the UK up to 1 month before the course starts. Child Student visas may be extended if all requirements are met. The Child Student Visa is not a route to settlement.

Applicants aged 16 or over may work part-time for up to 10 hours during term time, and full-time during the holidays, as well as undertake work placements as part of their course.

Child Students visas will be granted with various conditions such as no access to public funds and full-time permanent employment. They are also not able to bring dependents; as explained above, a parent can apply for a Parent of a Child Student visa.

"Gary is a great lawyer and we are very grateful for all his hard work."

Chambers & Partners 2024

Why choose Latitude Law?

Latitude Law has significant experience of preparing successful Child Student visa applications. Thanks to our extensive knowledge of immigration rules, we are able to provide pragmatic advice and meet our clients’ needs. We have connections with the Home Office and other immigration authorities so we can advise you with confidence and ensure the entire immigration procedure runs smoothly and efficiently for you.

Working with a law firm can be a big decision, which is why we ensure that our clients are at the heart of everything we do. We are a highly driven team that is dedicated to providing clear and reliable immigration advice.

As a boutique law firm specialising in UK-inbound immigration, our experts understand the complexity that constantly shifting visa and residence policies create for international students who are looking to kick start their careers in the UK. Our lawyers can provide up-to-the-minute legal advice on how any changes will impact your application. We are pleased to be recognised as a leading law firm by the following independent bodies: The Times Best Law Firms 2024, Chambers & Partners 2024, Legal 500 2024 and Who'sWhoLegal 2024. These endorsements from the international legal directories demonstrate our integrity and success in dealing with difficult cases.

We are also proud of our 5-star Google reviews from over 150 satisfied clients. Call us today on 0300 131 6767 or fill out our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you. Let our legal experts take the uncertainty out of your Child Student visa application so you can start your successful journey towards investing and working in the UK today.

Illustration laptop - white

Contact us

As the requirements for a child student visa are complex, to ensure success, you should seek specialist advice from an immigration solicitor before you proceed with an application. Latitude Law’s specialist lawyers can advise you about your individual requirements and ensure that your supporting documentation is compliant with the very latest immigration rules.

Get in touch with our legal team today on 0300 131 6767 or fill out our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you. Face your future knowing you have the dedicated support of one of our expert lawyers.

Our other relevant visa services

Join Family in the UK

The UK government believes that family should stay together wherever possible, which is why they offer visas for family members of British citizens or migrants who are settled in the UK. The immigration solicitors at Latitude Law can guide you through the application process and provide legal advice on complex matters, such as past refusals and appeals.

Applying for a Skilled Worker visa

A Skilled Worker visa has replaced the Tier 2 (General) work visa. It is open to individuals wanting to work in the UK who have been offered an eligible job by an employer with an approved Sponsor Licence. 

Apply for a Student Visa

If you are interested in studying in the UK, Latitude Law specialises in providing legal advice to migrants. Our lawyers have in-depth knowledge on all aspects of the student or short-term visa options for students and can help you successfully apply to study in the UK.

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767

Meet our experts

Latitude Law logo

Contact us now to arrange a FREE initial consultation with an experienced UK-inbound immigration lawyer

Call on 0300 131 6767 or complete our contact form and we will get back to you within 1 working day

Your information will be used in accordance with the privacy policy