Government Authorised Exchange Visa

Women at indicator board

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767


If you wish to come to the UK for a short period to complete work experience, do training, do an Overseas Government Language Programme, or research or do a fellowship through an approved government authorised exchange scheme, the Government Authorised Exchange visa might be applicable to you.

Depending on the scheme which you apply for, if successful, you will be granted a visa valid for a maximum of 12 or 24 months.

This visa has replaced the Temporary Worker-Government Authorised Exchange visa.

To speak to one of our solicitors about making an application for a Government Authorised Exchange visa, call us today on 0300 131 6767 or complete our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you.

Illustration turquoise - women writing with left hand

Who is eligible for this visa?

To be eligible for this visa, you must have a certificate of sponsorship from an organisation which holds a valid Government Authorised Exchange sponsor licence. The sponsor may be any of the following:

  • An organisation running an approved exchange scheme.
  • A higher education institution (if you are a sponsored researches, visiting academic or examiner)
  • A government department or agency.

The work, training or research which you do must relate to the work that your sponsor organisation does.

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767

Illustration turquoise - books

What documentation do I need to supply?

Your application will be submitted online. In support of your application, certain documents must be provided:

  • A certificate of sponsorship.
  • A valid passport, or other identity document evidencing your identity and nationality.
  • Proof of funds, sufficient to support yourself in the UK.
  • A valid TB test, if applicable.
  • A valid ATAS certificate, if required by your employer because your job involves researching a sensitive subject at PhD level or above.
  • A letter from a government or international scholarship agency granting consent for you to remain in, or re-enter the UK.

If your partner and/or children are applying at the same time, you will also need to provide evidence to demonstrate your relationship with them.

For any documents which are not in English or Welsh, you will need to provide certified translations.

Legal 500 - leading firm

Latitude Law are "just on it. Always helpful and clear and caring".

Legal 500 2024
Illustration turquoise - group

How can Latitude Law help?

The team of expert solicitors at Latitude Law can provide expert advice on all aspects of Government Authorised Exchange visa applications. We can provide detailed guidance about the requirements for such a visa application, or we can prepare the entire application, together with a detailed letter of representation, explaining how the relevant rules are met.

Contact us today to arrange an initial consultation in relation to a Government Authorised Exchange visa application. Call on 0300 131 6767 or complete our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you.

Why choose Latitude Law?

As a boutique law firm specialising in UK-inbound immigration, our experts understand the complexity and uncertainty that constantly shifting rules and policies can create for individuals. Thanks to our extensive knowledge of the Immigration Rules, we are able to provide pragmatic advice and meet our clients’ needs; we can advise you with confidence and ensure the entire immigration procedure runs smoothly and efficiently for you.

We are pleased to be recognised as a leading law firm by the following independent bodies: The Times Best Law Firms 2024, Chambers & Partners 2024, Legal 500 2024 and Who'sWhoLegal 2024. These endorsements from the international legal directories demonstrate our integrity and success in dealing with difficult cases. We are also proud of our 5-star Google reviews from over 150 satisfied clients.

Call us today on 0300 131 6767 or fill out our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you. Let our legal experts take the uncertainty out of your Government Authorised Exchange visa application so you can start your successful immigration journey today.

Illustration laptop - white

Contact us

As the requirements for a Government Authorised Exchange can be complex, to ensure success, you should seek specialist advice from an immigration solicitor before you proceed with an application. Latitude Law’s specialist lawyers can advise you about your individual requirements and ensure that the conditions of your Government Authorised Exchange visa application are compliant with the very latest immigration rules.

Get in touch with our legal team today on 0300 131 6767 or fill out our enquiry form and we will get straight back to you. Face your future knowing you have the dedicated support of one of our expert lawyers.

Government Authorised Exchange Visa FAQs

How long can you stay in the UK with a Government Authorised Exchange visa?

You can stay in the UK for up to 12 or 24 months (depending on the scheme you are applying for) or the time given on your Certificate of Sponsorship plus 14 days, whichever is shorter.

You can enter the UK up to 14 days before the start date of your job.

Can my family join me in the UK while I hold a Government Authorised Exchange visa?

Your partner and children can apply to join you or stay in the UK as your ‘dependants’ if they are eligible. If their application is successful, their visa will end on the same date as yours.

You, your partner and your children will each have to pay the application fee and the healthcare surcharge, and prove that you have enough personal savings to maintain your stay in the UK.

How long does it take to process a Government Authorised Exchange visa?

You can apply for a visa up to three months before the day you are due to start work in the UK. This date is listed on your Certificate of Sponsorship.

Once you have applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you will usually get a decision on your visa within:

  • Three weeks, if you’re outside the UK
  • Eight weeks, if you’re inside the UK

It is currently taking longer to get a decision on Government Authorised Exchange visas when you apply from outside the UK.

Content correct as of 21st June 2024

Other relevant visa services

Global Talent Visa

The Global Talent visa is an opportunity for leave to enter or remain in the UK on the basis of exceptional talent or exceptional promise in he fields of science, engineering, humanities, social science, medicine, digital technology or arts and culture.

Working in the UK

Are you looking to work in the UK? There are many different visa routes allowing overseas workers to come to the UK. Establishing exactly which visa to apply for is a complicated process, but our business immigration lawyers are experts in advising on the most appropriate visa category for your circumstances.

Skilled Worker Visa

A Skilled Worker visa is available for skilled workers of all nationalities that have been offered a position from an eligible UK company who is a registered sponsor. This route can lead to settlement and applicants can be joined by dependent partners and children.

For an initial consultation, call us now on 0300 131 6767

Meet our experts

Latitude Law logo

Contact us now to arrange a FREE initial consultation with an experienced UK-inbound immigration lawyer

Call on 0300 131 6767 or complete our contact form and we will get back to you within 1 working day

Your information will be used in accordance with the privacy policy