Apply for a Youth Mobility Visa

If you’re looking to temporarily live and work in the UK, a Youth Mobility Visa (previously known as a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Visa) is a route worth exploring depending on your nationality. This visa allows young adults between the ages of 18 – 30 (35 in the case of New Zealanders applying after 29 June 2023) to live and work in the UK for up to two years.

Who can apply for Youth Mobility Visa?

You could be eligible for a Youth Mobility Visa if you are a citizen aged between 18 and 30 from one of the following countries:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • Hong Kong
  • Republic of Korea
  • Taiwan
  • San Marino
  • Iceland
  • India

The age limit for New Zealand citizens is 35 from 29 June 2023. Invitation to apply arrangements operate in respect of Japanese, Taiwanese, Hong Kongk Korean and Indian citizens.

You can also apply if you’re a British overseas citizen, a British overseas territories citizen or a British national (overseas).

Additionally, you will need to prove you have savings of at least £2,530 for the 28 days preceding your application.

If your visa application is accepted, you can stay in the UK for a maximum of two years, and leave and return at any point within this period of time. If you turn 31 while on a youth mobility scheme, you can stay for as long as your visa is valid.

You are permitted to work and study in the UK, without addditional sponsorship, during your period of permission to stay.

The charge for the Youth Mobility Visa is £244, and a healthcare surcharge will also be applied.

How we can help

A Youth Mobility Visa is a great way of being able to live, study and work in the UK for a set period of time as a young adult. If you need expert support, the solicitors at Latitude Law are on hand to provide help and advice.

Our legal team can ensure you are up-to-date with the right documentation and can help you meet paperwork deadlines. This will ensure you stand the best chance possible of a successful working holiday visa decision.

Why choose Latitude Law?

For Youth Mobility Visas, Latitude Law’s knowledge and experience is second to none – our expertise and drive to succeed make us very well respected in our industry. Through our eye for detail and case preparation skills, we will do everything we can to ensure your Youth Mobility visa application is accepted. Living and working in the UK can have profound benefits on the rest of your working life, and with the help of the legal team at Latitude Law, you’ll stand the best chance possible of enjoying this once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Youth Mobility Scheme Q&As

What is the duration of a Youth Mobility visa?

The duration of the visa is two years – three for New Zealand citizens (from 29 June 2023)

When am I able to apply for the Youth Mobility Scheme?

You can apply for the scheme as soon as you reach the age of 18.

Am I able to extend my Youth Mobility Scheme visa?

No, you cannot extend your visa beyond the two / three years.

What am I allowed to do while I'm living in the UK?

While living in the UK, you can do any type of work that complies with UK or European Union laws, directives and regulations. If you have a degree in medicine or dentistry from UK institution that is a UK recognised or listed body and holds a sponsor licence under the Student category of the PBS, you may work as doctor or dentist in training. You also have the ability to work self-employed, as long as you do not own premises where business is conducted, other than your home (although you may rent premises for the purpose of self-employment); the total value of the equipment you use in your business is no more than £5000 and you can have no employees. You also have the opportunity to study in the UK.

What am I not allowed to do while I'm living in the UK?

While living in the UK, you cannot use public funds. You can also not work as a professional sportsperson or (in most instances) as a doctor or dentist in training. These require you to apply for a different visa category.

What countries are part of the Youth Mobility Scheme?

The areas listed in Appendix Youth Mobility Scheme to the Immigration Rules are: Australia, Canada, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea, Iceland, India, San Marino and Taiwan

What documents must I provide alongside my application?

You must provide a current passport or travel ID, a bank statement showing you have at least £2,530 in savings and your tuberculosis test results if you are from a country where you have taken the test. If you are from Hong Kong or the Republic of Korea, you must get a certificate of sponsorship before you apply. Once you have received this certificate, you have three months to apply for your Youth Mobility visa.

Am I able to bring dependants with me on a Youth Mobility Scheme visa?

You cannot bring dependants with you, the visa is solely for the applicant.

What costs are associated with applying through the Youth Mobility Scheme?

You must have £2,530 in savings. It costs £244 to apply to the scheme. You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application.

How can I remain in the UK once my Youth Mobility Scheme visa expires?

You can apply for a new visa in various different categories. You can apply for an Ancestry visa, if you have a UK-born grandparent. Another option is applying for a Skilled Worker visa if you have been offered a job or sponsorship opportunity. If you apply for one of these visas, you will need to return to your country and apply there. There is also the possibility of applying for an Ancestry dependant visa if your partner has an Ancestry visa.

A partner visa may be an option if your spouse or long-term partner is British or has settled status (indefinite leave to remain) in the UK. Unmarried partners must be able to prove at least 2 years’ cohabitation, in the UK, overseas, or a combination of the two. However, do check that you can meet all the requirements in this category, including that you and your partner can meet the minimum income requirement of £18,600.

You can also apply for a visa if you are in a relationship with or married to an EU citizen with settled or pre-settled status.

What happens if my application is refused?

If your application is refused, you may apply for an administrative review if you feel that the decision contains an error. You should get in touch with an expert immigration solicitor if this is the case. 

What additional Youth Mobility rules apply to Indian Citizens?

Indian nationals became eligible for Youth Mobility visas from 1 January 2022. As well as standard requirements based on age, funds held etc, they must also prove they either:

  • Hold a qualification at degree level or above (minimum RQF level 6); or
  • Have at least 3 years’ work experience in a professional role capable of being sponsored under the UK’s skilled worker rules

The government has not yet published details of the ballot arrangements it will use for Indian applicants – we will confirm these as soon as they are known.

Our experts

What our clients say…

From securing skilled worker sponsor licence to dealing with visa applications

"Dear Gemma and Victoria, I wanted to thank you for your amazing effort! This is a personal achievement for me as a director of a small SME. It feels great that our firm is now able to sponsor workers and we could only do it with your guidance and professional help"
Mr Maida - Beta Design Consultants
April 2023

Assisting partner & step-son of British citizen with securing UK entry clearance to successfully naturalising / registering as British citizens

“My wife & I wish to thank Gemma and the team at Latitude Law for the professional , supportive and successful service you have provided for us. We are so pleased with all that we have achieved with you and your team. Thank you again.”
Mr & Mrs Williams
April 2023

Successful entrepreneur and partner dependant visas

Deciding to choose Latitude Law firm for my visa application was the best decision my husband made. They first assisted him with his tier-1 Entrepreneur visa which was a success and later my PBS partner-dependent visa.

My first two applications were refused due to lack of relationship evidence as my marriage was fairly new at that time. Similarly we went ahead with the administrative review which again upheld the decision to refuse my application. This painstaking process was two years long which took a toll on my mental health.

By the blessing of God, we came across Mr.Hafejee at Latitude Law. His excellence, determination and guidance helped us at every step of our application. Mr.Hafejee was extremely patient with our countless queries and calmed our anxiety humbly. He is one of the most approachable solicitors we ever came across and is equipped with brilliance in his field of work. He helped me reunite with my husband after 2 years and the credit goes to his hard work behind our application.

My husband and I will always be thankful to Mr.Hafejee and his brilliant team for the wonderful service they provide. They surely are the best in this field and would truly recommend their services to everyone.

All content on this page was reviewed by Latitude Law and is accurate as of 04/01/2022