Who can apply for an Ancestry Visa?
You, and any dependants, could be eligible to apply for an ancestry visa if you:
- Are a Commonwealth citizen
- Are applying outside of the UK
- Are able to prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK
- Are planning to work in the UK
- Meet the other eligibility requirements
You must be 17 or over to apply for an ancestry visa, and already have sufficient funds to house you and any dependants in the country without support from UK public funds.
The earliest you can apply for your ancestry visa is three months before you travel – the waiting time for a decision is three weeks.
If your visa application is accepted, you can stay in the UK for up to five years, and may even be able to extend this further by applying for a UK ancestry visa renewal, or by applying to settle in the UK.