Is a child born in the UK automatically a British Citizen?

A child who is born to parents that aren’t British citizens and don’t have Indefinite Leave to Remain or settled status does not automatically become British Citizen at birth. The child will need to apply for British Citizenship once at least one of their parents gains settled status.

However, the rules can often be complex. For example, if a child is born in the UK to non-British parents, they will be eligible for British Citizenship after they have spent 10 years in the UK, providing they haven’t been outside the country for 90 days in any one year.