Skilled Worker Visa Extension

The Skilled Worker route replaces the Tier 2 (General Route). Any existing Tier 2 (General) workers can apply for extensions, changes of employment and settlement under the Skiller Worker route, subject to meeting the relevant requirements of the immigration rules.

How We Can Help

The expert solicitors at Latitude Law provide expert advice on all aspects of UK Skilled Worker visa applications. We can provide detailed guidance about the requirements, as well as prepare the entire application alongside a detailed document explaining how the relevant rules are met.

Our experts can also provide assistance in applications to switch to the Skilled Worker route from another category, extend your leave or apply for settlement.

To speak to a solicitor about extending a Skilled Worker visa, call our team on 0044 161 234 680 or 0044 207 046 7185, complete our contact form and we will get in touch with you at a time that is convenient for you.

What are the Skilled Worker Visa Requirements?

You can apply for an extension of your Skilled Worker visa before the expiry of your current leave as a Skilled Worker or a Tier 2 (General) worker. In other cases, you may apply for an extension if you change jobs or employers.

To be eligible for an extension of the Skilled Worker visa, you must:

  • Be aged 18 or over on the date of the application;
  • Be in the UK on the date of the application with permitted leave;
  • Work for and have a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) (issued no longer than three months prior to your application) from a UK company who is a registered sponsor;
  • Work a skilled job that is on the list of eligible occupations;
  • Be able to prove your knowledge of the English language;
  • Be paid a minimum salary as confirmed in the occupation for the role;
  • Have cash funds of at least £1,270 available unless you have an ‘A-rated’ sponsor who is willing to meet your maintenance costs up to the end of the first month of your employment, or you have been in the UK with permission for 12 months or longer on the date of the application.

The exact requirements you will need to satisfy will vary depending on your circumstances. You may want to discuss your Skilled Worker extension application with an immigration lawyer for expert advice.

Why Choose Latitude Law?

Latitude Law has extensive knowledge in all aspects of immigration, human rights and nationality law. Our experienced solicitors have assisted clients with some of the most complex issues that can arise from visa applications, extensions and switching into other categories.

We have the largest immigration team in the north west and work tirelessly to ensure all of the necessary steps are completed to the highest standard. We are recognised as a Tier 1 immigration law firm by the Legal 500.

Contact Us

As the requirements for this visa are complex, you should seek specialist advice from an immigration solicitor before you proceed with an application. Latitude Law’s specialist lawyers can advise you about the requirements specifically related to you and ensure that the conditions of your employment are compliant with the immigration rules.

If you would like to learn more about how Latitude Law can help you, call our team on 0044 161 234 6800 or 0044 207 046 7185, or complete our contact form and we will get in touch at a time that is convenient for you.

Skilled Worker Visa Extension FAQs

How long will be extension be granted for?

If you application is approved, you will be granted permission to stay for a period until 14 days after the end date of your CoS, which may be up to a maximum of five years after the start date of your CoS.

Can I switch into the Skilled Worker category?

You may be eligible to switch to a Skilled Worker visa if you are currently in the UK in one of the following categories:

  • Start-up
  • Entrepreneur
  • Innovator
  • Student or graduate

If you are switching from other categories, you may need to leave the UK and apply for Entry Clearance from your country of nationality or usual residence. Read the full guide to switching from inside the UK here.

When can I apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain under the Skilled Worker route?

You can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after spending a continuous period of five years in the UK. The five-year continuous period consists of time with permission on any of, or any combination of, the following routes:

  • Skilled Worker
  • Global Talent
  • Innovator
  • T2 Minister of Religion
  • International Sportsperson
  • Representative of an Overseas Business
  • Tier 1 Migrant, other than as a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Migrant

Is there a maximum time I can stay under the Skilled Worker route?

No, the Home Office has removed the restriction on the length of stay under the former Tier 2 (General) route.

Can my family join me via the Skilled Worker route?

Skilled workers may be joined or accompanied by a dependent partner over the age of 18 and/or a dependent child under the age of 18.

Our experts

What our clients say…

Successful human rights appeal on family grounds

"Dear Gemma & Victoria,
Thank you for all your hard work and encouragement."
Mr Hanif
July 2023

New Biometric Residence Permit

"Dear Gemma & Victoria,
Thank you for helping me to get my new Biometric Residence Permit"
Brother Koso
July 2023

Exceptional Professionalism

"Natasha & the Latitude Law team showed exceptional professionalism and efficiency throughout the process of my family's permanent residency application. I'm incredibly thankful for their expertise and dedication."
Ms Zheng
June 2023

All content on this page was reviewed by Latitude Law and is accurate as of 11/10/2022.