The Tier 1 (Investor) visa closed to new applicants on 17 February 2022. However, those who already hold visas in this category can apply to settle until 17 February 2028.
The requirements to settle vary slightly depending on the individual’s circumstances, when they were first granted leave in this category, and the level of investment they have maintained. However, the basic requirements for settlement are as follows:
- The applicant has invested money of their own, under their control, amounting to at least £2 million, in the UK by way of share capital or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies.
- The applicant has spent a continuous period of 5 years in the UK as a Tier 1 (Investor) Migrant, and during this time, their absences from the UK have never been more than 180 days in any 12-month period.
- The applicant’s investment was made no earlier than 12 months before the date of application which led to their first grant of leave as a Tier 1 (Investor) Migrant.
- The level of the applicant’s investment has been at least maintained throughout the whole period of their leave in the UK, other than in the first 3 months.
- The applicant has sufficient knowledge of the English language and Life in the UK.
The requirements to settle become easier if:
- The applicant has maintained a £5 million or £10 million investment (as opposed to £2 million) throughout their whole period of leave – they can apply to settle after 3 years and 2 years respectively.
- The applicant is over the age of 65, and is therefore exempt from the English language and Life in the UK requirements.
The requirements to settle become more difficult if an applicant’s initial grant of leave as a Tier 1 (Investor) was before 29 March 2019, and they invested their capital in UK Government bonds.
- The applicant must either submit their settlement application before 6 April 2025, or move their qualifying investments out of UK Government bonds and into other qualifying investments before this date.
Fees & Process
A Tier 1 (Investor) settlement application costs £2,404 for each person applying; partners and children can be included on the same application form.
The application is likely to be decided within 6 months of attendance of a biometric appointment. Applicants can purchase the priority or super priority service to get a decision within 5 working days, or by the end of the next working day after attending their biometric appointment. These services cost an additional £500 and £800 respectively.
How we can help
With the Tier 1 (Investor) route closing, it is critical that applicants have well-prepared applications for settlement. Often investments are not easy to evidence, and applicants tend to have absences close to, or over, the 180-day threshold. We can ensure that your application is properly evidenced, and submitted at the correct time to comply with the relevant requirements.
Contact Latitude Law
Contact us today to arrange an initial consultation in relation to an investor settlement application. Call on 0044 161 234 6800 or 0044 207 046 7185, or complete our contact form and we will get back to you shortly.