Pre-Settled and Settled Status Applications

Latitude Law specialises in advising clients on all aspects of European migration law. In light of the UK’s exit from the EU, nationals of EU countries living in the UK and their family members will need to obtain documentation to live here legally. They must apply for a grant of limited leave to remain (pre-settled status) or indefinite leave to remain (Settled Status) under the EU Settlement Scheme. Five million EU nationals have already obtained their documentation under the scheme. 

Act now and act quickly to secure your status under the EU Settlement Scheme

Despite the recent introduction of the EU Settlement Scheme, Latitude Law has already assisted many clients with successful applications under the scheme. Our solicitors have detailed knowledge and understanding of the new rules which affect EU nationals within Appendix EU of the Immigration Rules.

EU nationals are required to apply for their status under this scheme by 30 June 2021. Get in touch with one of our solicitors now to discuss your case and ensure that your application can be submitted in time.

What do I need to secure Pre-Settled or Settled Status?

For those who already hold a residence document or permanent residence document under the EEA Regulations, they will still need to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme to switch their status.

For those who have not had their EEA rights of residence confirmed previously, they will need to demonstrate:

Securing EEA permanent residence can be challenging and you will likely need the help of a specialist Latitude Law solicitor to maximise your chances of success. Generally speaking, you will need to demonstrate:

For Pre-Settled Status:

  • That you are an EU or Swiss national (or related to one)
  • You were resident in the UK before 11pm on 31 December 2020
  • You have not yet lived in the UK for 5 years 

    For Settled Status:


  • That you are an EU or Swiss national (or related to one)
  • You were resident in the UK before 11pm on 31 December 2020
  • You have lived in the UK for a continuous qualifying period of 5 years (maintaining absences of less than 6 months in any 12 month period) 

    No supervening event has occurred (an absence from the UK of 5+ years or criminality can affect this)

    There is no longer a requirement to demonstrate that you have been undertaking a qualifying activity (such as work or study) during your time in the UK, however these applications can still become complicated in certain situations. It is always best to discuss your circumstances with one of our team before applying under the scheme.

    One you have Settled Status, you may also wish to consider naturalising as a British citizen – see Naturalisation and Registration for British Citizenship for more details.

What if I was not resident in the UK before 31 December 2020?

For most EU nationals, this will mean that they are unable to benefit from the EU Settlement Scheme and would need to apply under domestic immigration rules in order to live in the UK or sponsor their family members to live here.

If you are unsure of whether you will be able to benefit from this scheme, get in touch so that one of our team can advise you of the options available to you.

Why choose Latitude Law?

Whether you are a national of an EU country seeking to study or work in the UK, or you are a non-EU family member hoping to live here, our lawyers will be happy to explain Home Office rules, regulations and procedures. As a result, we can help you and your family apply for a grant of leave under the EU Settlement Scheme or an alternative route. Our lawyers have a wide range of experiences of assisting with the most difficult of EU applications.

European Law Q&As

Am I eligible for an EEA Registration Certificate?

Yes, if you are a citizen of the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland, you have relocated to the UK and are engaged in “qualifying activity”, which includes work, study, self-employment or economic self-sufficiency.

What is the duration of an EEA Registration Certificate?

Five years, at the end of which you may be able to apply for permanent residence.

What documents are required to apply for EEA Permanent Residence?

You must prove, with original documents, that you have lived and been economically active in the UK for at least 5 years; useful items include Council Tax bills, P60s and other employment evidence, proof of studies and bank statements.

How long does an EEA Permanent Residence application take?

They are usually decided within around 3 months, but it is hard to be precise. Our experience shows that applications submitted via the online process are dealt with more quickly; this also offers the option of using your local council’s passport-passback service.

Am I eligible to apply for Pre-Settled Status?

Yes, if you are a citizen of the European Union and were resident in the UK before 31 December 2020.

What can I do if my application is refused?

You may have a right of appeal to an independent tribunal, or be able to make a request for the Home Office to complete an administrative review of your decision. At this stage, it is best to seek advice, since reapplication may be a preferable option for you.

What are my employment rights with an EEA Registration Certificate?

You are entitled to work, without restriction, in the UK. Remember, though, that employment must be genuine and effective; we would usually advise a minimum of 16 hours per week.

Am I eligible for an EU family permit?

Yes, if you are an eligible family member of an EU or Swiss national who resident in the UK before 31 December 2020. Your relationship must have also begun by 31 December 2020.

How will Brexit impact my EEA residence documents?

You will need to apply to switch your EEA residence document for Pre-Settled or Settled Status under the EU Settlement Scheme. The deadline to make an application under this scheme is 30 June 2021.

What is the duration of a grant of Pre-Settled Status?

Five years, at the end of which you may be able to apply for Settled Status. 

What documents are required to apply for Settled Status?

You must be able to prove your nationality and continuous qualifying residence in the UK. 

How long does a Settled Status application take?

The Home Office state that applications may take between 5 working days- 1 month depending on whether further information is required. Our experience is that many straightforward applications can be decided in less than 5 working days, but some more complicated applications do exceed 1 month. 

Our solicitors

What our clients say…

UK Entry Clearance Granted

I would like to express my most sincere gratitude to Joel Reiss for his amazing service in relation to my visa application.

Reiss was outstanding as a consultant and adviser and my family and I highly value the efforts he took; we are deeply appriciative of his work and knowledge in the legal matters, processes and proceedings. He prepared our application including a covering letter from scratch, which he refined through discussion before making it an impeccable one to refuse. There were a few complicated elements surrounding our application and we believe had it not been for Mr.Reiss and his flawless services together with the expertise of Latitude Law, we would not have recieved our visa.

He was quick in clarifying our queries and made it a point to reply as soon as possible. Even when we had to be away from work, Reiss made sure our application was not interrupted and it could be filed on time. The constant communication and the replies continued even after the application was submitted and the services were paid for all the way till we recieved the decision. We have even been informed of the travel guidelines and quarantine regulations, and I honestly believe the fee we paid did not include these supplementary services.

I would also like to extend my upmost appreciation to Gary McIndoe, the Director, Latitude Law and everybody else at the firm including Jessica Lee for their service and cooperation.

I would not think twice in recommending Joel Reiss and Latitude Law for visa application and allied services.

Mr Vineesh

Success for the Bouameur Family

I am writing this on behalf of the whole family, we would like to say thank you. These two words are such small words for the gratitude and high regard we all hold you in.

Your firm and especially you have been with us throughout the difficult years we have had and you have always been there when we needed picking up, our shoulder to cry on that saw us through with honesty and realistic advice.

I cannot recommend your firm and you enough to people who find themselves at the mercy of a system that at best can be described as confusing.

You have given us back our lives and for that you will always be a cherished member of our family and never forgotten

Many many thanks to you and your team for everything

The Bouameur Family

Naturalisation success for a medical doctor

I shall have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending Latitude Law, which is clearly an extremely proficient unit, exemplified by helping clients with patience, attention to detail and sensitivity in equal measure.

Particular mention is merited to Ms Gemma Wylie, whose professionalism is par excellence. I couldn’t thank her enough.


All content on this page was reviewed by Latitude Law and is accurate as of 11/02/2019