I lived in the UK for more than 5 years in the past, but I left and now live abroad – can I still get any benefit from my past residence? 

Yes, potentially.  The Home Office plans to introduce legislation which will protect your past residence, and allow you to make an application for settled status, so long as you haven’t been absent from the UK for more than 5 years at date of application.  You must still apply under EUSS by 30 June 2021. You can submit your application from abroad.