Should my elderly relative apply for leave in-country?

UKVI has not issued specific guidance allowing an elderly relative to submit an application for further status in country – whether to extend a visit or to apply for indefinite leave to remain.

The Home Office has announced that everyone in the UK with leave expiring between 24 January and 31 May 2020 will have their visa automatically extended to 31 May. However this is not automatic – you must contact the Coronavirus Immigration Team (CIT) to update your records.

As those aged over 70 are currently encouraged to isolate themselves from other people, so it is unlikely that UKVI would enforce removal of someone in that age category at the current time.