My visa is expiring, but I am abroad and unable to return to the UK, am I able to make my application from outside the UK?

There is no guidance on this issue yet, but it would be our advice to submit an application out of country, rather than not submit an application at all. The Home Office have also advised that a short break in continuous residence will be overlooked, if you unable to return in time to extend your leave.

They have also introduced the Covid Visa Concession Scheme which is for migrants who held leave to remain in the UK, but their leave expired while they were stuck abroad due to Covid-19 travel restrictions, leaving them unable to return. See our FAQ entitled ‘I previously held leave to remain in the UK, but while I was stuck abroad, my visa expired. Am I entitled to re-enter the UK?’ for more information.