I was granted leave to remain until 31 July 2020 under the coronavirus transitional provisions. I still can’t return home; am I in the UK illegally?

The Home Office granted a grace period period until the 31 August 2020 for those whose leave had been extended until 31 July 2020. If your leave has expired and you are still unable to leave the UK, you need to fill out the COVID-19 UK Visas & Immigration form – Exceptional Assurance, explaining why you are unable to travel.

Exceptional assurance will allow you to continue living in the UK with the same conditions of your visa, until you are able to return to your home country. Exceptional assurance does not grant you a further period of leave.

You will be expected to return to your home country as soon as it is safe and possible to do so. Please speak with one of our experts to discuss your options if you would like to remain in the UK.