Applying to Study in the UK

If you are interested in studying in the UK, Latitude Law specialises in providing legal advice to migrants. Our lawyers have in-depth knowledge on all aspects of the required Tier 4 Visa for students and can help you successfully apply to study in the UK.

For more information, or to speak to an immigration lawyer today, call 0161 234 6800 or complete our online enquiry form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.  

How do I apply to study in the UK?

To apply to study in the UK, you need to apply for a Tier 4 Visa through the government’s Points Based System. There are numerous types of visa that you can apply for depending on your age or the age of your child and how long you plan on studying for in the UK.

Tier 4 (General) Student Visa

For students who are 16 or over, you can apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa. To qualify, you require the following:

  • A conditional offer on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor
  • The ability to speak, read, write and understand English up to a certain level (level B2 in the CEFR (Common European Framework for languages) for higher education)  - you may be required to take a test
  • Enough money to support you and pay for your studies

The immigration team at Latitude Law can assist in your application by ensuring the educational institution you have chosen to study at has the relevant Tier 4 sponsor licence.

Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa

For children aged between 4 and 17 years old, a parent or guardian can apply for a visa on their behalf. To qualify for this type of visa, your child must have a place at a school with a Tier 4 sponsor licence and you must have enough money to cover the cost of studying and any living costs.

Short-term Study Visa

If you have a place on a short course of study, such as an English language course or training course, you can apply for a Short-term Study Visa valid for up to 11 months if you’re studying English. This type of visa covers you if you wish to conduct research in the UK as part of a degree you are studying abroad.

How we can help

Regardless of which Tier 4 Visa you are applying for, our expert team of solicitors can assist you with the preparation and submission of your application. We will make sure you meet all the requirements of any immigration rules that might apply to you, including helping you to gather the relevant documentation to submit as evidence. Our aim is to give you the best possible chance of success

Why choose us?

At Latitude Law, our immigration lawyers have years of experience helping clients prepare and apply for immigration visas, so you are free to focus on preparing for your move to the UK. Our expertise means we are able to tackle any case, no matter how complicated, to get you a positive result.

We will keep you updated on proceedings, ensuring you are aware of what options are available to you and what is the best course of action you should take. Once you have secured your place, we are also available to answer any questions you might have about life in the UK or to help you should you need an extension on or change your visa.

Contact Latitude Law

If you or your child are looking to study in the UK, you should speak to an expert immigration solicitor immediately. To arrange an initial consultation, call us on 0161 234 6800 or fill in our contact form and let us know a suitable time to call you back.


Further Reading

Sponsored worker restrictions – why are so many employers being refused permission to employ new staff from overseas?

BBC drama Collateral puts the spotlight on immigration in the modern UK, but is it getting the facts right?

Update on Citizens’ rights following the conclusion of stage 1 Brexit negotiations

Changes to the Immigration Rules: Workers, entrepreneurs, family members and more

Latitude - 10 today!

New Hope in TOEIC English Testing Cases

UK visas for partners and spouses - 7 things you should know before you apply

Case update: Recent court decisions affecting EU nationals

Home Office publishes plans for EU application process post-Brexit - 6 things to know

Gary McIndoe comments on Brexit day and rights to remain in the UK

Immigration and the hostile environment - how nasty can it get for non-migrants?

Sala judgement overturned

Budding entrepreneur or world leading talent – what type of business visa do you need?

Government plans for post-Brexit immigration policy revealed

Preparing the perfect partner application – what is the best recipe to use?

Home Office Summer Report Card – 5 things they got wrong this August, and 3 things they got right

Visiting the UK – who can, who can’t and what can go wrong?

7 tips for entrepreneurs applying for UK visas

Top tips for students arriving for UK study

5 things to understand about the August 2017 changes to the Immigration Rules: families, income and the MM case

Immigration Rule changes following MM Lebanon

5 things to know before applying for an EEA residence document

Good character requirement for nationality

Brexit update 07 July 2017- If there will be new post-Brexit document requirements, should you bother to confirm your right of residence now?

Government outlines how it will safeguard EU citizens' rights, 27 June 2017

Brexit Update 27 June 2017 - Further details on post-Brexit rules

‘Deport first, appeal later’ held to be unlawful

Brexit update 23 June 2017 – Negotiations start and an offer is finally on the table for EU nationals living in the UK

Statement on EU 'Brexit' Referendum – Updated 08 July 2016

Liga Kurme - Receptionist & administrator

Sarah Goodwin - Solicitor

Article 50 Triggered: What This Means for UK Businesses with EU employees

Employment Rate of Ethnic Minorities in Liverpool on the Rise

Joining Family in the UK

Bilal Ehsan - Caseworker


Jodie Ropero - Caseworker

Claire Livesey - Practice Manager

Caroline Bagley - Caseworker

Joel Reiss - Caseworker


Chris Pearson - Financial Controller

Natasha Willett - Solicitor

Samah Idris - Finance Manager

Steven Pearson - Receptionist & administrator

Marilyn Regan - Secretary

Gemma Wylie - Solicitor

Shara Pledger - Solicitor

Gary McIndoe - Solicitor


Container for people

News Articles

Thank You (Contact page)

Thank You (Quick form submission)

Privacy Policy




Contact Us


Applications for British Citizenship

Sponsor Licensing

Deportation Appeals


Making a Fresh Claim for Asylum or Human Rights Protection

Family Visits to the UK

Applying to Work in the UK

European Law

Human Rights & Your Family

Applying to Study in the UK

Investing in or Starting a UK Business

Refugee and Human Rights

Our Services